CICOES is committed to building and fostering an inclusive, equitable, and diverse workplace where all contributions are valued and respected. The range of perspectives available to us directly affects our ability to innovate and push the boundaries of our research with respect to scope, effectiveness, and societal relevance. We actively work to create an organization where employees of all backgrounds and identities can thrive. Our work is in support of the University of Washington’s commitment to diversity and the College of the Environment’s diversity statement.
Our current initiatives around diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) include:
- decreasing bias in the hiring process through anonymized applications when possible and a structured candidate review process;
- hosting regular workshops for our employees to promote education and engagement on DEI issues;
- bringing together a dedicated group of individual employees to meet monthly to find ways to improve workplace diversity, equity, and inclusion;
- offering 10-15 summer research experiences for undergraduates (REUs) that target underrepresented groups;
- encouraging an interest in STEM through scholarships to NOAA Science Camp and exhibiting at career fairs and conferences targeted at underrepresented groups;
- JISAO scientist participation in outreach events at K-12 schools, the Pacific Science Center, the Seattle Aquarium, libraries, and other venues around Washington State.