Through CICOES’s Cooperative Agreement, research is funded through three tasks.
CICOES supports core programs by providing space, computer access, administrative support, and other services for postdocs and visitors. Core programs include:
- Three to four postdoctoral fellows on annual appointments, renewable for a second year.
- Honoraria and travel expenses for short-term visitors
- Education and outreach activities
- A portion of CICOES administration
The Task II budgets serve as a vehicle for funding research scientists (UW professional staff), other postdoctoral research associates, and graduate students. The Task II program supports directed, collaborative research efforts between NOAA and university scientists.
Task II funding currently supports:
- Approximately 90 professional staff, postdoctoral research associates, and UW graduate students are housed at NOAA’s Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory (PMEL) and Alaska Fisheries Science Center (AFSC)
Task III funds supports University of Washington research in areas compatible with the CICOES’s major research themes. Task III programs serve as vehicles for funding research scientists (UW faculty and professional staff), postdoctoral research associates, and graduate students.
Task III funding typically supports an average of six postdoctoral research associates housed at PMEL and AFSC.
CICOES Internal Research Grants
The 2020 CICOES Internal Research Grant program is open to all CICOES staff who are Research Scientist 3 and above and eligible CICOES postdoctoral scholars. In addition, the program is being expanded to include collaborative proposals that can include researchers at OSU, UAF, partner units here at UW, and CICOES scientists.
The deadline for the 2020 program is 4PM, December 11, 2020.