One part of CICOES’ mandate is to prepare the next generation of NOAA employees. An academic training ladder typically includes undergraduate students, graduate students, and Postdoctoral Scholars. CICOES has run a nationally recognized, summer intern program for over a decade that promotes opportunities for undergraduate students from diverse backgrounds. At the other end of the spectrum, CICOES has supported Postdoctoral Scholars since 1978 who have conducted leading research in collaboration with NOAA, CICOES Research Scientists, and Faculty from CICOES-affiliated departments. An omission in CICOES educational pipeline is the support of graduate students. Graduate students cannot be directly appointed to CICOES but that does not limit CICOES ability to support graduate student training and research through affiliated researchers and faculty.
To that end, CICOES initiated the CICOES Graduate Student Award Program in 2019. The objective of this program is to support graduate student programs conducted in association with CICOES research scientists, NOAA research scientists, and UW faculty in CICOES-affiliated departments.
2021 Graduate Student Award Program
The Cooperative Institute for Climate, Ocean, and Ecosystem Studies (CICOES) requests applications for the 2021 CICOES Graduate Student Award program. This program aims to facilitate graduate student research and the training of next generation NOAA scientists through opportunities to participate in NOAA-relevant research conducted in association with CICOES research scientists, NOAA research scientists, and UW faculty affiliated with NOAA and CICOES.
Specific objectives of this initiative include:
- Enabling existing graduate students to conduct or continue NOAA-relevant studies with emphasis on publishing research results.
- Promoting interactions between CICOES, NOAA, and NOAA-funded scientists and graduate students in the College of the Environment.
- Increasing the number of graduate students that are competitive candidates for NOAA employment opportunities.
To accomplish these objectives CICOES looks to provide:
- One quarter of support that results in a product (e.g. published paper) and includes at least one CICOES PI as a co-author.
- One quarter of support to enable graduate students to complete a thesis or dissertation that address CICOES research themes.
Up to eight Research Assistantships (RA 50% FTE) are available for Spring Quarter 2021, funded by CICOES in conjunction with the College of the Environment. Eligible graduate students include those working in association with and supported by CICOES PIs, those working with NOAA Scientists, and/or those working with CICOES-affiliated UW Faculty. Graduate students in their first year are not eligible to apply.
Application packages are due by March 5, 2021. Availability of additional RA quarters is anticipated and will be announced in the next academic year.
For questions contact John Horne at email@example.com.